Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Expectations: Not for the Faint of Heart

I've heard it said, "If you don't have expectations, you won't be disappointed when they're not met." As an optimist and an idealist, I never liked this way of thinking. And honestly, not subscribing to it has always done me good.

But let's get real for a second; it's simply impossible to go through life without experiencing the disappointment of having our hopes dashed at some point, even when we put our hope in the proper place.  So how do we reconcile unmet expectations with a God that says He'll never let us down?


Like any normal female with a dream in her heart would do, I've spent much of my 9 years of knowing my now-husband, fantasizing about my life with him as a married couple. One of my deepest desires was to take him to the place that I grew up, my most favorite place in the entire world. Summer after Summer that he could not go there with me and my family, I would dream of the day when it would happen, conjuring up beautiful mental images of us walking hand-in-hand down the beach, star-gazing at night, sailing on the bay. My heart would literally hurt while I dreamt of the day it would finally become a reality.

After so many years of waiting, I was finally able to bring him with me this year in our first Summer as husband and wife! Could the timing have been any more perfect? I was simply beside myself. Finally my dreams were coming true!

In the week before our trip, God kept bringing to mind the lyrics of the Andrew Ehrenzeller song that I picked to be sung during our wedding ceremony: 

"So I set my love upon you, no expectation, only revelation..."

(Looking back at my 5 months of marriage, the irony and humor of my song choice is not lost on me, but that's another dozen blogs for another time...)

Going into this trip, I had extremely high expectations. After all, I have had years to dream and fantasize, to plan out my perfect scenario for every situation while on this vacation. However, from the moment we woke up to go to the airport, nothing was going the way I had "planned." Dumb little things that went wrong were like fatal blows to my dream. By the time we landed at our destination, I was extremely irate, disappointed, and quite honestly, hurt with God. Ian picked up on it right away and wasted no time reprimanding me in love: 

"Don't let the fact that things aren't going exactly as you thought, steal your joy."

Of course as any heart-sick individual would do at the loss of a perfect plan, I didn't heed his words right away and let a couple of precious days go by feeling upset, let down, and disillusioned as each hour yielded different results than I expected of this long-awaited dream.

"God, don't you tell us to expect great things? Don't you tell us that you're a good Daddy who wants to give us the desires of our heart? What happened, here?!" 

And there it was again, the words sang over my marriage:

"...no expectation, only revelation..."

And then I realized my fault: I put expectation in my own ideas of perfection, rather than putting expectation first and foremost in the character of God to fulfill dreams in His perfection! It's so vital that we don't jump ahead of God, assume that we know how He is going to do something, and then build our hope upon it. That is a sure-fire way to construct a rickety foundation that will crumble under the weight of the slightest disappointment! 

I've heard so many times to "come to God expecting": expect Him to move in a mighty way, expect Him to answer you, expect Him to be there in a time of need, expect Him to show up.

Are these bad things to hope in? Of course, not! But what I've found that I do (and I'm sure I'm not the only one guilty of this) is I will go that teensy little step further and--sometimes unconsciously--put my hope in what I think His methods will be and expect everything to happen just as I imagine. Then when things don't go the way I expected I am left feeling let down, like God didn't come through on what He promised.

"...only revelation." 

What we need is not expectation, but revelation, a.k.a perspective. Perspective to see things as God sees them and not as we see them, perspective to remember that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts (Isaiah 55:8), that we must not lean on our own understanding, but trust that He knows what He's doing (Proverbs 3:5-6). It's easy to think that everything has gone wrong when they didn't go the way we wanted them to, but that hardly means God didn't make good on His promise; it means He did it HIS way, not ours, and we should ask for revelation to see beyond what things appear to be on the surface.

Bottom line: We will always risk being disappointed if we are more hopeful in His methods than in His character; His methods are often a mystery and beyond our understanding, but His character is clear and it never changes.

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." (Proverbs 13:12) The Hebrew word for "deferred" means "delayed" and the Hebrew word for "fulfilled" is "come, arrive." I finally see this verse in light of Jesus: while we may have to wait while the fulfillment of our dreams is delayed, we will never have to wait for access to Jesus and the fulfillment we can find in Him...it has already arrived! Because of this, our hearts will never be sick and our desire always fulfilled when our hope is exclusively in Him: Not what He can do, will do, or has done in lieu of our heart's desires, but simply in who He is!



In hind sight, the fact that my dream didn't pan out exactly as I had always imagined was a good thing--more than a good thing, it was a great thing. I would not have experienced what I had and realized what I did had things gone any differently. Once I gained revelatory perspective and looked past my expectations, I was able to take joy in my dream, again. I ditched the disappointment and embraced the moment, and while it didn't outwardly appear to be my version of perfect, I chose to enjoy it and it was amazing.



God has known the deepest desires of my heart longer than I have. He was aware of them developing for 9 years and He knew how I longed for their culmination. I am no special case; God sees your heart, as well. Have you been disappointed lately by circumstances taking an unexpected and unwanted turn? Have you had great expectations only to find yourself disillusioned with their outcome? Release your expectations and receive His revelation! Putting hope in Him will not disappoint.



"And this hope will not lead to disappointment..." - Romans 5:5



<3 Hali

10 comments:

  1. Excellent.... I tend to come expecting,but not with specific expectations... It's so important to trust his character of love, over any specific method. You hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting!

      I definitely agree: If we put our hope in perfect love above all else, there's no room for disappointment.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Hali, so true what you said here.
    I was looking for that song and came across with your blog.
    Warm regards from Brazil. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John! Glad you stumbled on my blog :) Did you find the song? I ended up finding it in a podcast through iTunes awhile back. It may still be there.

      Hi from America! Be blessed :)

      Delete
    2. Yes I did Hali! As soon as I replied you that night. I found it at grooveshark in Andrew's account. I love this song. Your story has touched me in so many ways (and I didn't even get to part 3 yet). I'm glad to had stumbled across your blog "for no apparent reason" (lol). I can't put it into words. I love you guys from The Harbour, such a pure heart for Jesus.
      =)

      Delete
    3. Wait, do you already know some people from The Harbour?! Small world! I know that we have some connections down there as my pastor makes visits pretty frequently, but I'm not sure which churches he goes to. Wouldn't that be amazing if we are already connected, somehow!

      I am SO glad our story is ministering to you! I can't tell you how humbled and happy it makes me feel that God would lead someone to "accidentally" (haha) stumble on my blog to read it, even out of the country!! It's amazing the way He uses our testimony for other people. I'm so blessed that you are blessed by it!

      I love that song, too! Probably my favorite Andrew song :) We had friends play it during communion at our wedding. So beautiful and deep!

      Delete
    4. You have no idea Hali, how blessed I am by your story and how our world is smaller day by day (hahaha). I guess we don't have a clue about what God is doing through the internet, that's for sure.

      Be schocked but I stumbled at first on Mary Kat's blog (season of life) in a couple of years ago, back in 2012. I don't even remember what I was searching for, I guess it was something about "waiting". It was dark, really dark for me in that time. I was going through hard things to say the least. So, in those days, I was desperate for God, in a deep way. The Holy spirit then poured out to me and ministered so much through her at that time. It still does through you guys.

      A big parenthesis here: I am not that kind of person who are used to read blogs or similar materials as I am currently a M.Sc. student in Computer Science and constantly find myself with little time left from my job and the studies.

      So, since then, I have known Andrew, and consequently, found about The Harbour and Darren. In a way, I do know you guys. Well, not personally, but I can say, for sure, that you have a special place in my heart. I would not bring this here if it wasn't true. It sounds waaay too crazy I know. And now, suddenly, I just found myself chatting to you! What???

      Darren has been a couple times in some churches in Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte. I live in the state of "Espírito Santo", which means Holy Spirit in English. just above the state of Rio de Janeiro.

      So beautiful that song, it is stucked in my mind for about a week.
      Love you all, in Jesus name.

      Delete
    5. WOW WOWW!!!!!! Hahah that's SO AMAZING!! God is nuts!! I totally love how He does crazy things like this!! :D What's so funny is that God actually used Mary Kat's blog in MY life too, to confirm that He wanted me to go to The Harbour in 2009! I didn't read all of her posts, there was just one in particular my friend showed me that was speaking on everything the Lord had been showing me at that time, and it was like the last push I needed to leave my old church and move to the Harbour.

      I am blessed by you being blessed, you have no idea!! Maybe one day we/some of the Harbour family will meet! I know there are constant trips to Brazil and making connections with God's people in other nations is a big part of Darren's heart for the Harbour. Who knows, maybe you will even feel led to visit us in South Florida, some day? :) I told some people about the crazy connection going on here and they suggested that I let you know (if you don't already) about the livestream from the website where you can watch services live on your computer. www.harbourchurch.org, if you're interested! Either way, I know this was Holy Spirit's doing, a divine connection. So cool!

      I love that you live in a state named after Holy Spirit! That's so cool! God is up to something in this generation, for sure.


      Good luck with all your studies!! (sounds like a TON of work!) So good to connect with you! Know that you have extended family here in South Florida if you were ever wanting to visit! :)

      Bless yah, brother!

      Delete
    6. Oh my Gosh! I can't believe this! This is so crazy! I am just SO happy right now. Holy Spirit thing! I can now recall what I was looking for on the internet when I first found Mary Kat's blog, I was researching about seasons because I wanted to understand all the stuff that I was going through, and I was so hungry, I guess I read it all,

      I am so thankful that you are being blessed, for real. I'm just smiling right now! I actually do feel led to visit you, this would be a dream come true for me! I thought about it tons of times! This has been constantly in my heart! You bet I am just counting the days until that! I just did not have that opportunity yet. I have been in my master for about a year now (still one and a half year to go). I'm just living in God's time and trusting in the things He spoke. It would be simply amazing to meet you all.

      Yes, in fact I already attended in many services at the Harbour (through live stream :D). Recently my life has been pretty busy so I am not watching it regularly (as last year for instance) but every single time that I watch it I am so blessed! If I would come up with these things to anyone, I would sound totally crazy, so I just kept all of this in my heart and look at that!

      So cool right? but that's not even the better. I just live in a city, an island, called Vitória, "Victory" in engligh!. What a combination!

      Thanks a lot Hali! Yes, it really has as much work as it sounds! But it is almost up, a year from now to finish it (a lot of work to do though).

      So good to know that! Because one of my thoughts that kept me thinking and wandering if one day I would be able to visit you guys was exactly me not having Friends there.

      It is so good to connect with you too! ahaha, I totally agreee, divine connection! (so, if you want, we can get connected on fb, it may be easier to keep in touch). I would love it!

      God bless you!

      Delete